Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Can`t pee

02/25/2008

Question:

Am searching for info to help my son, 17, who had dirt bike accident, resulting in broken femur and collar bone. Surgery to put rod in upper left leg and only sling for clavicle. After 4 days in hosp. is home one day and now can`t pee. No problem before at all. What can help him? He`d rather die than have catheter ever again. Even told me that if ever another accident or anything, NEVER let them do a catheter again ("rather die," he insisted). Got cranberry juice, is no fever at all, no real pain except ones from accident (leg and shoulder, some back when lays to long). Pain meds not known to cause this. 6 days since surgery.

Answer:

The details are unclear. If he cannot urinate, then the only solution is to catheterize the bladder. Sometimes a temporary suprapubic catheter is inserted through the lower abdomen, until the cause of the urinary retention is determined.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology