Help I am scared

02/21/2008

Question:

Hi I have to get a Leep procedure in March and I am terrified of the anesthesia part. Please help me understand. I am afraid I`m going to die. Couldn`t I stay awake during the procedure?

Answer:

Some people appear to just breeze through the experience of anesthesia and surgery. Others are deeply anxious.

Often there is a reason for the anxiety. A previous bad experience. A family member who was harmed. A misconception. An underlying anxiety disorder. I wonder what is making you so frightened.

The reality is that for a minor surgical procedure, the risk of anesthesia is very low. In fact, the risk of dying from anesthesia in otherwise healthy patients is about the same as taking a train or flying on a commercial jet.

A LEEP procedure can be done with general anesthesia. Moderate-deep sedation is another option, as is spinal anesthesia. For more information about these options please browse the site or better still talk to your anesthesiologist and surgeon.

Methods of Anesthesia (NetWellness original)
Methods of Anesthesia (SurgiPrep)

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology