Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Frequent urination

02/25/2008

Question:

My child is an 8 year old male. He has a problem with frequent urination at night. This does not occur through the day. I called his doc and they told me to keep him off sodas, carbonated drinks and citric drinks. He really don`t drink a lot of that type of stuff. I usually let him have 1 soda a day and it is given to him at dinner most of the time. Last night, he was up about 10 time within a 30 minute time frame. At first I thought he was using it as an excuse to get out of bed. But, I feel different about that now. This has been going on about 4 weeks and seems like it is getting worse. Can you help? Any ideas??

Answer:

It sounds like he is going to the restroom several times before he falls asleep. This is uncommon, but not rare in boys his age. It is generally functional, which means that it is not attributed to a specific medical condition. I would follow your pediatrician's recommendation to avoid soda, particularly after 3 PM. It can cause a sensation of needing to urinate in some children.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology