Athletic Training

Patella realignment

02/22/2008

Question:

My 15 1/2 year daughter had patella realignment on both knees a year ago. She has been through physical therapy & goes to SpeedStrength which builds up the muscles in the entire body. We were told she would be released after 1 year...tomorrow is one year & the last couple of weeks she has been having pain on the inside of both knees & her left one continues to lock up & she has to hyper-extend it to "unlock" it. All she wants to do is get back into sports, but now they want her to go back into rehab & maybe pool therapy. She has had x-rays & a mri & both showed nothing. Everything is where it is suppose to be. They don`t want her working her legs or running, is this something she will just have to "live with the pain"

Answer:

It is not uncommon to experience increases in pain in the patellofemoral joint with activity following surgery. Just because she has pain, doesn't mean it is something she will have to live with for an extended period of time. It sounds as though the therapists wish to give her some time to recover and work on strength of knee musculature from this bout of increased pain.

I will admit that treating young females with anterior knee pain can be frustrating at times. Hopefully, they will be able to devise a program that allows her to continue in her sporting activities. You don't mention if she has followed up with her physician, but I am assuming so since she had x-rays and a MRI, but I would recommend follow up with her physician if symptoms of pain and/or locking continue to occur.

Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences