Obesity and Weight Management

Weight gain

05/14/2008

Question:

Last summer I went to the doctor with the flu. They of course check your weight and at that time I weighed 183 today I stepped on the scale and am 205. so in about 6 months time I have gained over 20 lbs. I eat right and workout everyday... I dont understand the gain and am now concerned. When I last went to the doctor they did a full set of blood work on me and found everything to be in order, no thyroid, no high blood pressure, no colesterol... what do I do? I am only 5`3" and feel I really should be around 125. Help!

Answer:

Have there been any changes in the past year that would contribute to this weight gain? Have your medications changed or have you begun taking new medications not taken previously? Some medications have a side effect of weight gain. Please review your medications with your physician to see if this could be a source for your weight gain and what other options you could use if it is. Also, was your doctor concerned with the weight gain?

You say you are eating right, which is great! Remember to consume a balanced diet which contains appropriate types and amounts of food to supply nutrition and energy for your body. The diet should include at least 3 meals a day and healthy snacking between meals. Aim to get a variety of all food groups: dairy, fruit, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains. Try keeping a food diary so you can calculate the actual number of calories you are eating each day. Your first meal should be eaten when you get up in the morning as this will help start your metabolism. Make sure you are eating every 3-4 hours.

If you have not met with a registered dietitian, I would strongly suggest you do so. They will be able to evaluate your intake, identify areas for improvement and provide you with a plan.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Angela Blackstone, RD, LD
Staff Dietitian
Metabolic Surgery Program
Wexner Medical Center