Obesity and Weight Management

Problem losing weight

Hi there, I am now 140 lbs and 165 cm. I used to be 110 lbs before I came to Vancouver. I used to run for 30 mins three times a week. Since the age of 14, I consume very little calories (1500 cal) and only ate less than 23g of fats a day and hardly had any protein in my food. I have been desperately trying to loose weight for the past 3 months. I also increased my calorie intake to 2000 cal and have lots of proteins. I try to eat 6 meals a day to bring up my metabolic rate. I still run 5 days a week and do light weight lifting twice a week.. and still no weight loss. What could be the problem?

Your body is telling you that you don't need to lose weight and is resisting your efforts. At 140 pounds and 165 cm (5 ft. 6 in.), you have a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 22.6. A desirable BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. BMI is a measure of body fat based on height and weight. At 110 pounds you had a BMI of 17.6 if you were 165 cm at the time. A BMI less than 18.5 is considered underweight.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Sharron   Coplin, MS, RD, LD Sharron Coplin, MS, RD, LD
Former Lecturer
Food & Nutrition
College of Education and Human Ecology