Obesity and Weight Management

Problem losing weight

05/13/2008

Question:

Hi there, I am now 140 lbs and 165 cm. I used to be 110 lbs before I came to Vancouver. I used to run for 30 mins three times a week. Since the age of 14, I consume very little calories (1500 cal) and only ate less than 23g of fats a day and hardly had any protein in my food. I have been desperately trying to loose weight for the past 3 months. I also increased my calorie intake to 2000 cal and have lots of proteins. I try to eat 6 meals a day to bring up my metabolic rate. I still run 5 days a week and do light weight lifting twice a week.. and still no weight loss. What could be the problem?

Answer:

Your body is telling you that you don't need to lose weight and is resisting your efforts. At 140 pounds and 165 cm (5 ft. 6 in.), you have a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 22.6. A desirable BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. BMI is a measure of body fat based on height and weight. At 110 pounds you had a BMI of 17.6 if you were 165 cm at the time. A BMI less than 18.5 is considered underweight.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Sharron   Coplin, MS, RD, LD Sharron Coplin, MS, RD, LD
Former Lecturer
Food & Nutrition
College of Education and Human Ecology