Gum Diseases

Gum and ear pain

04/02/2008

Question:

I have been having moderate to severe pain that occurs at least once a month, lasting for 5-7 days, that I have been getting for about 3 or 4 years. The first day, I start with gum swelling and pain in my lower left, where my wisdom tooth should be, but I had my wisdom teeth taken out at age 18 (I`m now 25). The next day, I end up with horrible ear pain, a slightly sore throat, numbness and tingling on the left side of my face, and the left side of my face hurts terribly to touch it. I have seen a few dentists, some ER doctors, a periodontist, and my PCP, and no one can find anything wrong. They say the inside of my ear looks fine, I`ve had x-rays and no tooth fragments are left in that spot, and I`ve even had a biopsy taken, which has come back normal. I`m just tired of this pain and no one able to do anything about it. Any ideas? I would be extremely greatful!!

Answer:

It sounds more like neuropathy. I am surprised that your ENT doctor did not request an MRI. Regular X-rays show only hard tissue. An MRI will show both hard and soft tissue. At this point, it does not sound like something gum-related. It may be also related to temperomandibular joint.

I would visit an oral surgeon, an oral pathology doctor, and/or an ENT doctor.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology