Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Low platelets

i have a heart & lung disease and now i have a low platelet count of 32 , they were staying in the 40`s. my dr has ruled out cancer, leukemia, ITP,MDS and hyperslpeenism. does hepatist c or internal bleeding have anything to do with low platelets? He does not know exactly what the cause is. My bone marrow level is low also

It is very difficult to make a diagnosis with only the limited information that I have available. If a bone marrow was done and was reported to be normal, that would make the more malignant causes less likely (leukemia, lymphoma, MDS). There are, however, many things that can make a platelet count low, including medicines, ITP, or other medical conditions.

I would encourage you to speak with your doctor, and request a referral to a hematologist to review your case and find the reason for the low platelet count.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine