Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Low platelets

02/27/2008

Question:

i have a heart & lung disease and now i have a low platelet count of 32 , they were staying in the 40`s. my dr has ruled out cancer, leukemia, ITP,MDS and hyperslpeenism. does hepatist c or internal bleeding have anything to do with low platelets? He does not know exactly what the cause is. My bone marrow level is low also

Answer:

It is very difficult to make a diagnosis with only the limited information that I have available. If a bone marrow was done and was reported to be normal, that would make the more malignant causes less likely (leukemia, lymphoma, MDS). There are, however, many things that can make a platelet count low, including medicines, ITP, or other medical conditions.

I would encourage you to speak with your doctor, and request a referral to a hematologist to review your case and find the reason for the low platelet count.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine