Obesity and Weight Management

Pediatric drug related weight gain

My seven year old grandson gained at least 20 pounds over a 4 week period. He recently confided that his father and step-mother have been giving him "sleepy medicine." What medication could have caused this weight gain? The father and step-mother are unapproachable.I am very concerned they are hurting him by giving him this medication and perhaps anything else. I`ve considered a lawyer but need some kind of proof first. Any suggestions?

Twenty pounds is a lot of weight gain in a four week period. Some medications are used to help children sleep, and there are other medications that are used for a variety of conditions, but they have the side effect of making the child sleepy. Unfortunately from your description, I cannot figure out what medication he is on or whether it is responsible for weight gain. Your best bet is to find a way to communicate your concern with his parents. You can also help him out by making sure he is eating nutritious food and is physically active.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Ihuoma U Eneli, MD Ihuoma U Eneli, MD
Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics
Medical Director of the Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition