Prostate Cancer

Fluctuating PSA Values

Age 56, good health with worrisome PSA numbers:

I have been running PSA around 1.0 (Apr 2007), but they got a PSA of 13.49 with an insurance company blood work-up in Dec 2007.

I followed up with the family doctor (PSA 4.56, free-PSA 11%) in Jan, 2008. Next follow up, in Feb 2008, was with a urologist a negative DRE, something (RT anterior) abnormal on the TRUS, PSA 3.32, free-PSA 11%. What do you think about the falling PSA numbers? What about the low free-PSA numbers?

I`ve been contemplating a "Color Doppler Ultrasound" in 3 months if the PSAs remain in the 3-ish range. Please comment. Thanks

The bottom line is you need a prostate biopsy to resolve your PSA values.  All of these PSAs are abnormal and they mean that you might have prostate cancer [roughly a 30% chance] that can only be resolved by prostate biopsy. You can have more PSAs but none of them will be exactly the same. You will need a biopsy to resolve whether or not cancer is present.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

R Bruce  Bracken, MD R Bruce Bracken, MD
Professor of Surgery