Prostate Cancer

Alternatives to Radiation and Hormone Treatment

03/03/2008

Question:

I had my prostate removed in Feb. 2006 and had positive margins and a Gleason 8. No spread to the seminal vesicles or lymph nodes. Because of radiation to the pelvic area in 1979 following testicular cancer I was told I had received my lifetime dose in that area and it would do more harm than good. I have adopted a macrobiotic diet and my PSA was .020 afer six months and is .025 after two years. Do I have any other treatment options other than hormones if my PSA rises?

Answer:

It sounds as though your PSA has been doing very well. The amount of radiation you received years ago, as well as the field of radiation that it was delivered to would be important to know to determine if any additional radiation is a possibility. Hormones is certainly an option if necessary as well as chemotherapy, and various clinical trials using multiple different agents.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology