Dental and Oral Health Center

Tongue problems

I wanted to check one thing with you. A few weeks back, I got some cuts on my tongue, which was accompanied with some pain and burning-like sensation in my throat and where the throat meets the chest. This was limited to my tonge and nothing in my mouth or anywhere else. A few days later, the sensation went away and there was nothing. I didn't notice any ulcers on the tongue.

What could be the reason for this? Someone told me it could be stomatatis, but I am not diabetic and I'm not taking any antibiotics. However, I am going through some high annxiety times. What is worrying me is that this came back a few weeks later. This time the cuts on the tongue were much deeper and generally the tongue looked badly damaged. There was a mild white coating that didn't hurt, but could easily be scrapped off (no bleeding). I am getting worried since I read symptoms of mine are similar to oral thush which is associated with HIV.

It would be impossible to tell exactly what is going on in this case without doing an examination. The "cuts" that you are describing could be simply a variation of normal called "fissured tongue". People with fissured tongue may develop a harmless condition called "geographic tongue" and that can sometimes have an annoying, irritated sensation. Geographic tongue tends to come and go. It is also possible that you had a brief episode of a condition called burning mouth syndrome. If you need confirmation of the diagnosis, you should be seen by an oral pathologist ideally.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology