Autism

Stimming

03/05/2008

Question:

When my son is bored, excited, etc. he paces back and forth, almost running but not quite, while flapping his hands and arms, ginding his teeth, and sometimes talking to himself. Usually is is talking about or repeating lines from a movie. He does this very often; at least 5 times a day, and usually does not stop unless I catch him. He also grinds and clenches his teeth whenever he plays. He memorizes movie lines, books, etc. and has an exceptional memory for odd things.. Do these behaviors fit into any other catagory besides Autism or Asperger`s? We currently have an ADHD diagnosis...

Answer:

From the symptoms that you are describing regarding your son, it sounds as though he probably has something in addition to ADHD.  What you are describing could very possibly be a diagnosis on the autism spectrum. It seems at this time that it would be a very good idea to have further testing done by someone who is experienced in testing for autism. If you live near a children's hospital (people do sometimes drive up to 3 hours away for testing), or have an experienced child psychiatrist in your area, I would highly recommend having the testing done. By doing the testing, you will know what you are dealing with and therefore be able to get him the appropriate help he needs at this time to help control some of his behaviors.

Best of luck. 

Go to the Autism health topic, where you can:

Susan Thompson, MSN, CPNP
Research Nurse Practitioner
OSU Nisonger Center