Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Multiple crowns joined together

03/05/2008

Question:

I have been told that multiple crowns, joined together can be used to strengthen teeth loosened by bone loss (by reducing movement). I am 60 years old and am told I have up to 50% bone loss. I also have very old, large fillings in all of my back teeth & the teeth will be weakened by redoing them. I can`t find anything about crowns joined together. Can you tell me about them? Also, is porcelain over gold preferable to porcelain over base metal and if so, why?

Answer:

Historically, teeth were splinted together for additional support. Today, there is more of a trend to not join them together. It is often more practical to remove seriously compromised teeth and replace them with implants or a removable partial denture. The more teeth that are joined together, the more there is to repair if a problem arises. Individual crowns are also easier to keep clean.

Noble alloys are preferred for porcelain to metal crowns because of the lower melting temperatures and lower hardness of the noble metal alloys. These properties make casting and finishing easier with the noble (or gold content) alloys.

I would also recommend a consult with a prosthodontist.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry