Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Blood found in six year old son`s urine

03/12/2008

Question:

My son has been seen by his pediatrian, and blood was found in his urine. Should I see a urologist or a nephorologist? Which would have more knowlege about this?? Also, he has been breaking out in hives, fever, and now he has syriosis (scalp) issues. We were told about the blood in the urine about a month ago. But, it has been there for quite some time...and I am very concerned about my son.

Answer:

First of all, it is important to determine that the blood in the urine is confirmed by microscopic analysis, and not just by a screening dipstick test. Next, it is helpful to determine the level of blood in the urine, generally trace to 4+. If it is minimal, i.e., trace, 1+, or 2+, usually there is no specific cause. However, if it is more severe and confirmed with microscopy, a visit to a pediatric nephrologist generally is recommended. Possible causes include a small kidney stone, elevated calcium in the urine, a congenital urinary tract malformation, a cyst in the kidney, as well as degrees of nephritis. A malignant tumor is quite unlikely.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology