Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

6 year-old`s bun/creatinine ratio?

03/28/2008

Question:

My son is 6 years old and very small for his age. He has had chronic diarrhea all of his life and is currently on Creon to see if that helps with his fat absorbtion. He has had numerous tests to rule out Cystic Fibrosis, Crohn`s, Celiac Disease, etc. and all were negative. His most recent test results show an elevated urea/crea ratio of 45 and also trace amounts of protein in the urine. The nurse said the doctor already saw the results, but just wants us to follow up at the next appointment, like nothing serious is going on. What could the link be between the latest results and the chronic diarrhea, and short stature, etc. that my son has? I am worried about his kidneys and he does get frequent back pain. Any ideas?Thank you!

Answer:

The BUN/creatinine ratio is an indication of hydration; probably it is elevated because he is mildly dehydrated from the diarrhea. Trace protein is common in healthy children. It does not sound like there is a significant kidney problem.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology