Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Digestive Disorders

Enalrged small intestine



I am 33 years old and have had ulcerative colitis for 15 years. For the past few months I have had a lot of abdominal pain. I went to the doctor (not my gastro) and I had an abdominal x-ray. He said I was very constipated and he said my small intestine was more enlarged than normal. He said it could be gas--but with my history should I be concerned? My doctor said--I can mention it to my gastroenterologist but it`s not pertinent. My doctor perscribed Miralax to relieve the constipation. I do take Metamucil on a daily basis.


How enlarged was your small intestine? Are you having any vomiting? If symptoms are due to constipation, your abdominal pain should improve as you have bowel movements. Metamucil is fiber and a good way to start. If you`re still not having soft bowel movements, you may want to consider something more. It probably would be worth seeing your gastroenterologist if symptoms persist. Miralax is also good for constipation and really should help if your symptoms are due to this.

For more information:

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University