Huntington's Disease

Progressive Symptoms of Huntington's Disease

03/13/2008

Question:

Is it common when you have swallowing problems that you have a wet cough that creates flim therefore when you eat you throw up? It`s been happening more and more with my mom. They tell me it`s common. But I don`t think it healthy.

Thanks for your help.

Answer:

Trouble swallowing and choking while you eat becomes increasingly common as HD progresses. It is not clear from your question whether she is throwing up already swallowed food or is choking and coughing up food as, or before, it is swallowed.

I would suggested that she have a formal swallowing evaluation. The speech and swallowing therapist may make some recommendations of the type of food that she can eat and positioning advice. At some point she may find eating food very difficult. Families should addressed their feelings and plans about feeding tubes early in the disease process

Go to the Huntington's Disease health topic, where you can:

Sandra  K Kostyk, MD, PhD Sandra K Kostyk, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Neuroscience
Clinical Assistant Professor of Neurology