Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Arthritis and Rheumatism

Are There Any Treatments to Help Relieve Muscle spasms?



I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hips and because of that I have to walk differently. I think this is causting muscle spasms in my buttocks area. Beside muscle relaxers, what can I do to help with the muscle spasms?


Working with a physical therapist may provide you with tremendous benefit. A trained therapist should be able to evaluate your gait and discover altered mechanics or motion compensations as a result of your arthritis. A structured program that includes stretching to the buttocks and core musculature (back and abdominals) are likely to help. The program can then be transitioned to a home exercise program.

For more information:

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Raymond  Hong, MD, MBA, FACR Raymond Hong, MD, MBA, FACR
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University