Addiction and Substance Abuse

The after effects of drugs.

03/10/2008

Question:

My wife has been sober for more than 6 months of a cocaine additction. She has been doing very well in general. All the signs of recovery have come and passed. My wife is trying very hard to get her life back and it has been uphill battle. However, she is still having seizures occasionaly. She is on seizure medication and it seems to help in general. Her doctor told her that it could take some time for the chemicals in her brain to get back to normal which was probaly causing the seizures. My Question? Do you think that the seizures are being caused by the brain chemestry or could it be something else. Also, could you tell me where i could find out infromation about this particular issue. Thanks Again

Answer:

Hello. I have found the risk for seizures from cocaine are while the person is actually using the drug and should not continue afterward unless the cocaine usage was associated with head trauma or a stroke causing a permanent brain injury and therefore a seizure focus. If she is still having seizures, I think another cause should be sought and a thorough evaluation by a neurologist is warranted. For further info you can Google cocaine and seizures and read further. I have not seen ongoing seizures from cocaine usage once the drug has not been used in a short time.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Edna M Jones, MD, MRO Edna M Jones, MD, MRO
Emeritus Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine