Hypothyroidism

03/18/2008

Question:

I have been on Synthroid for several years. I have polycystic ovaries and am morbidly obese. My dosage for the past two years has been 250mcg, but after my last blood test the doctor increased the dosage to 1000mcg. This seems to be a drastic increase. There has been no change in my weight in the last two years. Do you think it is safe to begin taking the new dosage?

Answer:

That does not sound right or safe - there is a high chance that there was an error somewhere along the way, most likely a communication error about the prescription - if not there then perhaps at some other stage in the decision-making process.  I can't recall ever writing a dose that high.  I can't say there are no  circumstances in which it would make sense but they would have to be very well thought through and justified, and it would never make sense to go directly from 250 to 1000 mcg daily.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD