Gynecology

Very light period

03/12/2008

Question:

I am 42 years old and have always had regular periods: 28 day cycle, 5 days of bleeding. My last two periods have been very light with almost no blood. They have come early in my cycle, this last one 5 days early. I have had all the normal signs such as tender breast and light cramps. Is this something I should have concern over? Is it possible this is early menopause?

Answer:

You could be in the transition phase from normal cycles to intermittent cycles prior to menopause. This usually occurs in the late 40's prior to menopause which usually occurs at 50-51 y/o. It is best that you keep a journal of your cycles, including the PMS like symptoms and bleeding records. If they remain abnormal for about 4-6 months, you should discuss this with your doctor. Having the journal will make it much easier to tell what might be going on.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education