Lump in thoat and chest

04/14/2008

Question:

A month ago I had surgery (hernia repair). Three days later I started to notice a feeling in my chest and throat. It feels like a mass with weight in my chest, but there is also a feeling of a lump in my lower throat. When I lie down to sleep it goes away quickly, but standing or sitting this discomfort goes to almost a constant feeling of vomiting, but havent yet. Barely eating and lost weight. Also this feeling seems to intensify and then can be almost tolerable, but never completly gone until bedtime. I`ve been treated for acid reflux and didnt help. I`m still under medical care with more testing, I would appriciate your thoughts and ideas. Thanks

Answer:

I can't determine, based on your description, whether your anesthesia might have anything to do with your current symptoms. You don't state what sort of hernia you had treated - a hiatus hernia (esophagus and stomach) is obviously very different to an inguinal (groin) hernia. If you were intubated (breathing tube) for an inguinal hernia (my guess) throat symptoms lead to the concern that the lining of your throat was damaged by the intubation. This can be checked by an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor looking at your throat to see whether there are any tears or other signs of trauma. This is more likely to happen in patients who are elderly, on steroids, or whose airway anatomy makes intubation more difficult.

Symptoms related to the chest are always a concern for heart disease, so your doctors I am sure would have that in mind as they evaluate your problem. Reflux is a common malady but symptoms are usually worse in the lying position.

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology