Pharmacy and Medications

How Long Does it Take Fosamax to Leave the Body?

03/14/2008

Question:

I have been taking Fosamax for a number of years now. Before the complications were known (about Fosamax) I had three dental implants and had no problem. I just found out that I need to have a fourth dental implant. My dentist insists that I go off Fosamax for 3 months before I have the implant. My orthopedist doesn’t think it takes that long for the Fosamax to leave the blood stream. I take it once a week. What is your suggestion?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Questions similar to yours have previously been addressed. The links below will connect you to that information.

Fosamax stays in the body for a long time and is very slowly released from bone.  The three month recommendation sounds reasonable.  Studies have shown that women who stop Fosamax are still protected against bone fractures for several years.  Being off Fosamax for 3 to 6 months should not put you at great risk of fracture in that short time.

Cancer patients receiving high doses of bisphosphonates (drugs like Fosamax) that were also taking glucocorticoids (drugs like prednisone) were the most likely to develop osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ).  Other risk factors for ONJ that you can discuss with your doctor include how many years you have been taking Fosamax, your general state of health, and other medications you may be taking.

Bone problems and dental work..
Fosamax use with dental implants

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Debra K Gardner, PhamD Debra K Gardner, PhamD
Assistant Clinical Professor of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy