Dental and Oral Health Center

Can`t get baby teeth pulled in 10 1/2 yr. old

03/13/2008

Question:

My son is 10 and half years old and he has so many teeth in his mouth! His top teeth are coming in way up in his gums and the baby teeth are not coming out. Then the worst is his bottom teeth. He has his permanent teeth in and his baby teeth are almost laying down (pointing back toward his tongue) and they are not loose at all. The dentist just said to see an orthodontist. The orthodontist said he needs to loose his baby teeth first. HELP! Should I ask the dentist to pull the baby teeth? He has had to have his baby teeth pulled before. Thank you.

Answer:

Thanks for the question.

I can empathize with your concern. My recommendation is to ask the orthodontist whether teeth should be removed now, and if so, can they write a referral requesting this. Sometimes, baby teeth aren't removed because they may delay permanent tooth eruption. A coordinated treatment plan between the orthodontist and general dentist will go a long way in taking care of your son and easing your concerns.

Hope that helps!

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Director, Residency Program, Division of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics