Allergies

Foods fried with shrimp

03/18/2008

Question:

My mom, 78 years old, is highly allergic to shrimp. My question is, if shrimp is fried in the same oil as chicken or fries, or grilled on the same grill as other foods, will she have a reaction to it or will the high temperature of the oil "kill off" the allergen.

Answer:

In the case of shrimp and shellfish, cooking and high temperatures will not destroy the allergen and the food will still cause an allergy after it is cooked. With all food allergies, you need to be careful of cross contamination. This occurs when a restaurant or kitchen prepares food using, in this case, shrimp or shellfish and then prepares another meal that becomes contaminated with the shrimp. If you want to be safe, I would avoid all food that has possibly come into contact with shrimp or shellfish.

Remember, you should always carry self--injectable epinephrine (epi pen or twinject) and have an anaphylaxis action plan from your doctor.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

David  Hauswirth, MD David Hauswirth, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Crtitical Care & Sleep
Pediatrics