Dry, red, itchy, hot chin

03/15/2008

Question:

I have recently developed, (around my mouth) mainly on my chin- a dry, red, itchy, hot, patch of skin (not raised like a rash). It began as a small patch (about the size of my thumb) of the same description a few weeks ago. I have been moisturizing but it just keeps getting worse. It is obvious and imbarrasing.. I recently went to the doctor for a yearly exam, my dr. ordered a chemistry panel at my request due to abnormal weight loss of 15 unsolicited pounds.. The results came back to reveal thyroid issues.. I am not really sure what this means but my question is- Do my skin issues have any thing to do with the thyroid results or is there possibly some other cause? Thanks

Answer:

It is hard to say if the red patch is related to the thyroid problem or not. Red, itchy, dry skin, especially in the winter is often due to eczema or something similar that is aggravated by dryness. However, if moisturizers are not helping and it is in fact getting bigger, a visit to the dermatologist is warranted. Depending on the clinical assessment of the doctor, a skin biopsy may or may not be needed.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center