Head and Neck Cancer

Lipoma in the right side of my neck

03/27/2008

Question:

In 1998 I had what was diagnosed as a lipoma in the right side of my neck. It has grown drastically to date two to three inches in diameter. Very soft feel to it, but cannot get fingers underneath the mass. Could you please tell me any latest research into this and the best course of action and how to find a good experienced specialist in the UK? Also, I am very frightened about my condition. Had testicular cancer 1991 with right testicle removed. Thank you. 

Answer:

Your condition is fairly common and since the lesion has grown, consideration to having this removed would be reasonable. The malignant version of this tumor is called a liposarcoma and is exceedingly rare. As suggested earlier, the treatment of a lipoma consist of surgical removal. It is usually done as an out patient and you will be going home the same day. There are many qualified head and neck surgeons in the UK. Not knowing where you live makes it hard to suggest a name. I would suggest that you work through your primary physician who is probably well aware of the local expertise.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery