Spine and Back Health

The Agile System

03/19/2008

Question:

Can you please tell me what the agile system is? I had a L5 to S1 fusion done with the agile system. I can`t seem to get the answer to my question answered.

Answer:

Hello, thank you for your question. I must say, I'm surprised that your surgeon hasn't answered this question for you. The Agile system is very new, so your surgery must have been recent. Are you not in communication with your surgeon? Anyway, the Agile system is a product made by the company Medtronic Sofamor Danek, which is the largest spinal implant company in the US. It is a device that combines standard pedicle screws (which are the large screws put into the vertebrae) and titanium rods to connect the screws, but the device includes a section of the titanium rod that is slightly flexible. It is called a "dynamic stabilization system", which means that it allows a slight bit of motion instead of completely immobilizing the bones. Other than this small flexible part, it's just a standard screw-and-rod stabilizer of the spine, usually designed to treat people with lower back pain due to mild instability of the spine. I hope this answers your question. If not, please let us know. You should be able to find information about it on Medtronic SD's website, though naturally anything on their corporate site will be heavily biased - essentially propaganda. Good luck!

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery