Myasthenia Gravis

Pregnancy with MG

03/21/2008

Question:

I been diagnosed with MG 3 years ago. I have been taking cell cept for 2 years after my timectomy and i have been doing so good. Im 33 years old. Happily married. We would like to have babies soon. My neurologist stated that i should not be in cell cept during pregnancy she recommended retaxin, but i never heard about it. Do you recomend another meds diffrent that retaxin or prednisone?

Answer:

Individuals with chronic illnesses requiring medications must plan pregnancy and breast feeding well ahead of the time they plan on becoming pregnant. There are many medications that are contraindicated during pregnancy and breast feeding. Unfortunately, there have been no controlled studies of the effects of Rituxan or rituximab on human fetal development. Also, it is unknown whether Rituxan crosses into human breast milk. I recommend that you meet with your OB/GYN health care provider and discuss your myasthenia gravis and medications used to treat it. Then, your OB/GYN health care provider can discuss your medications with your neurologist and work out a plan that is safe for both you and your baby.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Catherine  Kernich, MSN, RN, CNP Catherine Kernich, MSN, RN, CNP
Formerly

Bashar   Katirji, MD, FACP Bashar Katirji, MD, FACP
Professor of Neurology