Pulmonary Fibrosis

Oxygen tank readings

03/18/2008

Question:

I do not know much about my Father`s oxygen tank readings and I am wondering: He has to have it set on 5 about 85% of the time (of course wearing oxygen 100% of the time.) When he has to set it on 5 all of the time, does he get a different kind of tank with higher numbers?-starting at that 5? Thank you so much,

Answer:

There are a number of options for home oxygen for patients who need supplemental oxygen. Different types of tanks have different limitations. The standard tanks of compressed oxygen can go from 1 liter/minute up to 15 liters/minute, but the higher the flow rate, the faster they run out.

Liquid oxygen tanks have an advantage of being smaller and more portable, but are often accompanied by an oxygen conserving feature that only releases oxygen when the patient breaths in. Oxygen concentrators generally go up to about 5 liters but some special concentrators go higher.

The best resource for you is probably the home oxygen company that serves your father. Most companies will have knowledgeable assistants who can answer questions about the use of the company's equipment.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine