Exercise and Fitness

Cardio/weight lifting

04/03/2008

Question:

I`m 49 and looking to do this wright.How many min. of cardio should I be doing and is lifting or can lifting be part of cardio.I like working out but I`m in the gmy about 1.5 to 2 hr. 5days a week lifting or doing cardio.I have a lifting program from on line.I`m doing About 20 min. of cardio and then I lift.Days off I just do cardio.I just don`t what to be wasting time.I`m working on toning/abs and cardio.Do you have a good program have well cut gym time.Thank`s

Answer:

The American College of Sports Medicine makes the following recommendations for an exercise program for a healthy adult to develop and maintain cardiovascular fitness, strength training and flexibility.

Cardiovascular Training
Frequency -- 3-5 days per week.
Intensity -- Low to moderate intensity, approximately 55/65-90% of estimated maximum heart rate.
Duration -- Approximately 20-60 minutes of continuous activity.
Mode of Activity -- Continuous, rhythmical and aerobic using large muscle groups (walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, rowing, in-line skating, stair climbing, aerobic dance and cross country skiing).

It is important to gradually increase the amount of time and intensity of your exercise.   When beginning an exercise program, 5-10 minutes of activity may be all you can do.

Resistance Training
Frequency -- 2-3 days per week with at least one day of rest between workouts; do not do resistance training on consecutive days.
Sets -- A minimum of one set, 8-12 repetitions to near muscular failure for general fitness.
Number of Exercises -- A minimum of 8-10 exercises involving the major muscle groups.
Speed -- Moderate to slow; each repetition should be approximately six seconds (3 up, 3 down).
Range of Motion -- Exercises should be performed through a full range of motion and should be pain free.

Flexibility
Flexibility exercises (stretching) should be included with every exercise session.  Before stretching, warm up with 5-10 minutes of light cycling, walking, rowing, etc.   Each stretch should be held for 15-30 seconds and repeated 2-4 times, alternating sides.
DO NOT stretch to the point of pain.

Wishing you the best of luck in all your exercise endeavors.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley