Spine and Back Health

Lower back problems

04/15/2008

Question:

I have a double edged sword of problems and are wondering if they will eventually get better.

I have been diagnosed with a posterior bulge of the L4/L5-1 as well as having bowel surgery to remove a diverticular abscess and a stapled haemoroidectomy at the same time. My surgeon does not speak English that well but is great, and just tells me all will be good.

I have difficulty starting the flow of urine as well as suffer from a tingling sensation from my thighs down to my calves. The other problem I have is the sensation to defecate; however, after urinating this goes away.  Can you give me any answers?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery