Myasthenia Gravis

A 2 year old with myasthenia gravis

04/03/2008

Question:

HI,MY BOY IS 2 YEARS OLD AND HAS M G .HE IS ON MESTINON AND IS DOING BETTER.THEY TOOK A WHILE TO DIAGNOSE HIM AND HE WAS ON A VENTALATOR AT THE HOSPITAL AND SADATED FOR THAT TIME.NOW HE NEEDS ALL SORTS OF THERAPY.MY QUESTION IS THAT EVEN THOUGH NOTHING SHOWED IN HIS BLOOD AND HE HAS NO GROWTH ON HIS THYMUS.SHOULD HE GET THE THYMUS GLAND REMOVED.HE HAS NO MORE DROOPY EYES.AND HE IS BREATHING EFFORTLESLY OF THE VENT .HE TAKES 1.25 ML OF MESTINON EVERY 3 HOURS AND HE WIEGHS 27 POUNDS.HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH AN EMG ELECTIS TEST.WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE.THANKS

Answer:

First of all, I am sorry to hear that your son has been struggling so much. It must be very difficult for him, and for you and your family.

I would recommend that you have your son's cases reviewed by neurologists who are expert in diagnosing and treating MG. There are a number of conditions that can look like MG with EMG testing, but turn out to something other than auto-immune MG.

In cases of definite MG (without a thyme), we do not know whether or not thymectomy helps.

A second opinion from a pediatric neuromuscular specialist would help a lot. I wish you and your son the best.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology