Gynecology

Ovarian cysts after hysterectomy

03/21/2008

Question:

I`M 24 AND HAD A PARTIAL HYSTERECTOMY IN 04/07 IN THE LAST MONTH I`VE HAD SEVERE PAIN IN MY LOWER STOMACH SO BAD THAT IS BROUGHT ME TO THE FLOOR. HAD ULTRASOUND IN 2-14 FOUND A MASS 6CM WENT TO OB HE TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY. 2 WEEKS LATER PAIN OCCURRED GOT ULTRA LEFT MASS GONE ONE NOW ON RIGHT ONE WEEK LATER ANOTHER ULTRA AND THERES ONE ON LEFT AND RIGHT. MY OB SEEMS NOT CONCERNED BUT I CAN`T DEAL WITH THIS PAIN FOREVER IT WAKES ME UP AT NIGHT AND INTERCOURSE IS UNBEARABLE. PLEASE WHAT SUGGESTIONS DO YOU HAVE? I TRUST MY OB WITH MY LIFE BUT I`M CONCERNED

Answer:

Ovarian cysts that appear and disappear so easily are normal functional cysts. These are the cysts that form every month as the ovary produces and releases an egg. It can be painful, but shouldn't be as painful you describe. The pain needs to be further evaluated to rule out any gastrointestinal, urinary, musculoskeletal or gynecologic problems.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education