Gynecology

No periods

03/20/2008

Question:

I am a 30 year old woman that hasn`t had normal periods pretty much throughout my life. When I was younger they would be anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks late. During the past 2 years, I am not able to get my period unless I am put on medication to get my period. I watched a show that a someone in my same situation had a blood tests and it showed that she had low hormones, which caused them to do a MRI which she ended up having a benign brain tumor. Should I be asking to do this blood test? I have seen drs that have told me that not getting your period can happen to women but I have never had children and am beginning to get worried since they haven`t done any testing on me. Can you give my any advice on what to do? Thanks.

Answer:

You should have your thyroid and pituitary checked to look for a thyroid disorder or pituitary tumor. If that is normal, then you likely aren't ovulating and producing progesterone (that is the medicine you are probably being asked to take to start a period). If that is normal, and you have a period following progesterone, then you are likely not ovulating regularly. You should take progesterone monthly or hormonal birth control to make sure you have a period.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education