Lung Cancer

Do I need a second opinion of CT scan results

03/25/2008

Question:

I have had 2 CT scans three months apart which showed a noncalcified nodule in the lung. The imaging center sent written reports to my pulmonologist. When I told him I wanted to look at the scans and discuss them with him, he said he doesn`t look at CT scans, he only looks at the reports. I have 3 questions. Don`t pulmonologists look at CT scans? Is it okay to rely on the interpretations of one imaging center? If I want a second opinion of the scans, what type of doctor would I go to? Thank you for your information. I have learned more from you than from my doctor.

Answer:

Here are the answers:

1. Most pulmonologists review the CT scan. Of course, we do read the report as well. We like to review the CT ourselves to compare the findings.

2/3. You can always ask for a second opinion. A second radiologist (one who reads the X-rays and CTs) can read it or you can also request a second opinion from another pulmonologist.

Hope this helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Shaheen  Islam, MD, MPH Shaheen Islam, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep
Hematology