Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Anxiety Taking Over me? What Should I Do?

03/21/2008

Question:

I have had anxiety since i was 15 years old. It got really bad for 2 years where i couldn`t socialize or go outside. I would have trouble breathing too.Even around my family i would feel anxious and nervous. I just had a baby and i haven`t had those feelings for a long time now. I get anxious sometimes but i learned how to control it. Just recently i have started feeling weird agian. I just get nervous and dont know how to communicate. I feel like i am scared sometimes to go-out and to be around people. What should i do? I have a baby boy and i love to go/out and walk so i dont want to have to worry about this.

Answer:

Anxiety disorders are notorious for returning during stressful life situations, like having a new baby.  At this time, it is important for you to seek some medical and mental health care.  There are two ways to treat anxiety disorders -- counseling, medications and a combination of both.  Counseling is often done by psychologists, therapists or others, and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has great success in helping people overcome anxiety disorders.  Medications, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are also effective in treating anxiety.  Many people find that a combination of both counseling and medication is the most helpful.

I would encourage you to see your primary care provider as a starting place.  Don't wait until your symptoms get worse!

Good Luck.

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD