Dental and Oral Health (Children)

4yr. old daughter fell and broke her tooth

03/25/2008

Question:

My 4 yr old daughter dell down at school and broke left corner of her "E" tooth, her dentist said she needs a crown but I am so scare about the hole process I dont understand why she needs a crown at a very short age, I am concerned about the anesthetia, the process and they said they have to work on her tooth nerve and i dont want any consecuences in the future because of this. I need another opinion. thanks.

Answer:

It is always a good idea to get another opinion when you have questions about a diagnosis or treatment procedure. The most important concern when a young child falls and breaks a baby incisor (front tooth) is to make certain that the permanent tooth developing above it is not damaged. If the nerves and blood vessels (pulp) in the baby tooth are injured, treatment must be provided to prevent infection that could damage her permanent tooth. There are several ways to restore fractured incisors and esthetic crowns are frequently indicated. Pediatric dentists have extra training and treat only children. Consider having a pediatric dentist examine your child to provide you another opinion on treatment options.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry