Myasthenia Gravis

What is the treatment and can it get better

03/25/2008

Question:

I`m 34. I`ve had a droopy eyelid since I was really young. Recently I had noticed that it`s getting worse. I went to my eye doctor last week, and he suggested upper eyelid sergery. Does that help this situation????? I have more people notice and say what`s wrong with my eye, and I say that I don`t know yet. I went to a neuologist yesterday and they said that it`s probably Myasthenia or Anuerysm. I have to do a whole bunch of test to see what the problem is. Could it get worse if untreated later????? Thanks for your time.

Answer:

There are many problems that cause a droopy eyelid and MG is only one. I would recommend that you continue to work with your eye doctor and neurologist to come up with the most secure diagnosis that you can get. They should be able to rule in or rule out possibilities by reviewing your history, considering your exam and perhaps ordering a test or two. Then, they will be able to recommend treatment or, if the problem is mild, just see how you do with follow up visits.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology