Menopause

Taking premarin for 12 years after partial hy

05/19/2008

Question:

I was put on premarin in 1997 after a partial hysterectomy. I did not have any hot flashes or menapause symptoms. Now I beleive my dr. mistakenly put me on premarin after my surgury (even though I still had my ovaries)right after my surgury.I think he may have forgotten that he left my ovaries in even though he told me so. I am now 55 years old and realizing that I should have never been put on it in the first place.I have severe health issues with fibromyalgia and symptoms of undiagnosed connective tissue disease. Now I am trying to get off premarin and I am scared that I may end up with breast cancer.please advise. Do you think I should have been put on the premarin? I haven`t been able to work in 4 years and yet not been able to get any disability as yet.

Answer:

I agree with you that it may be good to discontinue the Premarin.  Many women like to taper off instead of making an abrupt stop.  Check with your physician about moving to a lower dose.  If you are already on the lowest dose (Premarin 0.3 mg), you could start taking it every other day.  I hope your other conditions take a turn for the better.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology