Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Missing adult teeth

03/28/2008

Question:

My son`s dentist informed me that he may be missing up to 7 of his adult teeth. The dentist said he is for sure missing 4 teeth and possibly 7. We have a family history of teeth coming in late and I am missing my two top incisors and I have no wisdom teeth. At what point are all of your teeth visable on XRAY? I know that missing adult teeth is heridatary, but is it common to be missing 1/4 of your adult teeth or could something else be going on?

Answer:

It is not uncommon to be missing multiple permanent teeth. The teeth most often missing are the wisdom teeth, then upper lateral incisors. You don't say how old your son is but we can usually tell if incisors are missing by age 3 and wisdom teeth by age 9. Missing teeth is hereditary and it can also accompany other conditions.

For another opinion, have your son examined by a pediatric dentist and be sure to take copies of the recent x-rays that have been taken.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry