Depression

Lexapro Effects

03/28/2008

Question:

Sir,

I am from India. For anxiety and panic disorder I take Escitolopram-10 mg. I have been taking it for the last 15 months under medical care. Recently I read in leading national daily that SSRI like Prozac, Lexapro, and the like have placebo effect and they do not have effect. I want to know about the real facts. Can you guide me about the truth I shall be obliged.

Answer:

Most of the controversy on this topic relates to use of SSRI's in the treatment of depression.  Even this data is an argument based on many controversial factors. Please consider that these "opinions" are based upon an evaluation  of medications that have been deemed by many government agencies (ie FDA) that are "effective" and have been approved for use based on some type of criteria.

Furthermore, I'm not convinced that this controversy has been expanded to your condition that you describe as "anxiety and panic." These medications seem to be helpful with these symptoms in many individuals. Depending on your diagnosis, continuation therapy should be a discussion with your physician since continuation therapy may or may not be required.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Emeritus