Menopause

Menopause and anxiety/depression

05/19/2008

Question:

I am 52 and have been having mild hot flashes for about 2 or 3 years. I haven`t had a period for a little over a year. We are going through some financial difficulties & I suddenly seem to fixate on this problem and I am now experiencing anxiety, insecurity, chest tightness, I almost feel like I`m a crazy person where normally I`m the calm relaxed one. My friend says during menopause you can have these mood swings that make you feel crazy. How long will this most likely last because this is the worst for me. Is there any vitamin or supplement to ease these feelings? Thank You

Answer:

Menopause can sometimes aggravate the effect of stressful life events.  Check with your primary care provider and consider options of counseling or temporary use of medication if it gets too bothersome.  Exercise and the appropriate can also help.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology