Prostate Cancer

Total Penile Retraction

04/04/2008

Question:

My father (age 86) had a Prostatectomy 3 years ago. This was an emergency removal of his enlarged prostate because his urinary tube closed completely, and a temporary fix became infected with an in hospital infection. No cancer.

Since the surgery, he continues to suffer incontinence. However, that is minor compared to the extreme shrinkage in size and complete retraction of his penis into the pelvic skin. It is getting so that he can not successfully pull the penis out to urinate. Recently, he is suffering from kidney trouble and is on Lasix once a day. I believe this problem is getting serious. Is there something that can be done to keep his penis in easy reach? Will an implant help? Or surgery to remove all the excess skin around the pelvic area? Is this a plastic surgery problem or a Urology problem?

Answer:

This sounds like an unusual problem and I would highly doubt surgery would be necessary. I would recommend you have your father see a Urologist.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology