Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Low platelets

04/02/2008

Question:

My Daughter is currently in hospital with a low platelet count. She is one week old and has currently received 11 platelet transfusions. Her latest count was 9. She has a bruise on her liver (1cm) and the doctors are not sure if the platelets caused this problem or if the low count indicates that the platelets are being used up to cure the bruise. The doctors have so far ruled out any infections witin my daughter and any infections from the mother. This includes any anti-bodies that mother may have passed to the baby.

My question is, Altough the doctors cannot pinpoint the problem is there anything I should be asking for them to check? Have you heard of any other cases similiar to this?

Can you help.

Thank you

Answer:

Unfortunately, I am an adult hematologist and cannot add anything or comment directly on your daughter’s condition. I would encourage you to ask a lot of questions of the pediatric hematologist that is taking care of your daughter.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine