Gynecology

Missed birth control

04/03/2008

Question:

I missed two birth control pills in a row during the end of the first/beginning of the second week of the pack. During that time I had unprotected sex and now it is 2 days later and I am having vaginal bleeding/colored discharge. I have started back on birth control and I am not suppose to get my period for another 2-3 weeks. I have had cramping today as well. Could I be pregnant?

Answer:

You could be pregnant, but you more likely have breakthrough bleeding from missing a few pills. It is unlikely that you got pregnant during the time you missed the pills, but missing the pills could allow you to ovulate this month. To be extra safe, you could use a back-up method of contraception like barrier/spermicide until you start your next pack. If you don't have a period at the end of this pack, you should perform a pregnancy test.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education