Root canal cause of salivary gland infection?

04/02/2008

Question:

Hello,6 months ago I had a root canal done on a back molar. With in a month I started to have swelling on the neck on the same side of root canal procedure. I went back to endodontists. He said evrthing looked fine. The swelling an pain never went down. I was referred to a ENT. After taking antibiotics it was determined that I needed surgery. During the procedure it was determined that the salivary gland was infected. A biopsy detemined it was an infection. Was this the result of the root canal? The endodontist never gave me a antibiotic after the root canal. I was wondering if there is a connection?

Answer:

It is highly unlikely that there is any connection. Antibiotics are not given after every root canal. There are only certain situations that warrant antibiotics. It is also unlikely that swelling that develops a month after treatment is related to the tooth.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics