Newborn and Infant Care

Breastfeeding whole time I`m pregnant

06/11/2008

Question:

i just found out that im pregnate and im still breastfeeding my 10 month old daughter is that going to hurt either one of them

Answer:

Congratulations on your pregnancy and your continued breastfeeding. Generally it is fine to keep nursing while pregnant. If you have uterine pain, or bleeding, a history of premature delivery and begin to lose weight see your health care provider immediately. Also be sure to discuss your continued breastfeeding with your health care provider.

In regards to your breastfeeding you may find that your milk volume may decrease a bit, early in the pregnancy, and more dramatically during the fourth and fifth month of pregnancy. Also, there may be a change in the taste of your milk. So it is not uncommon for a older nursing baby to decide to wean. If your baby decides to wean, be sure to discuss with their health care provider what substitute you should use for breastmilk.

Again congratulations!

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing