Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Masturbation side effects

04/09/2008

Question:

Hi, I am healthy 27 yrs. old and have been in a long distance relationship for few yrs. and I masturbate few times a week. For about 2 weeks I haven`t had an erection, even when I am in the mood. Previously I used to have spontaneous erections. In fact every morning I wake up since then, I feel tired especially in both knees, as if my energy has been drained.

I do not take any medications and have no other medical problems. I know I should get a medical done but can you please answer the following questions:

1) Is my tiredness and loss of erection could it be due to excessive masturbation? If I stop myself from doing it will my tiredness go away and will I get my erections back?

2) I`ve read at some websites that excessive masturbation for long periods (say 7-8times/week which is what I do) lead to exaustion, decreased penile sensitivity, and hormonal imbalance in males which leads to erectile dysfunction. IS THIS TRUE?

3) Can masturbation lead to BPH in any way?

4) Are there any long term side effects on prostate, erections and sexual drive in men?

I know I should get a physical done, but what do you experts think about it? Please let me know. Thanks.

Answer:

Masturbation and lethargy have no association. The fact that you feel tired and exhausted means there is something else causing the problem such as systemic disease or hormonal abnormality.

Masturbation does not deplete serum testosterone nor does it affect the prostate size or function. Therefore, do not think too much about your natural desire and find the cause for your lack of energy. Erectile function should return to normal soon thereafter.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery